Barrett's Grove, designed with Amin Taha + Groupwork, is a six-home residential building set on a disjointed, but characterful urban street on the boundary of conservation area in Stoke Newington. The form of the six-storey building echoes the tall gables of an adjacent school and the standalone presence of the neighbouring townhouse.
Spruce cross-laminated timber is used for all wall, floor and roof superstructure and enveloping this is a continuous non-structural façade of striking perforated brickwork. Cantilevering wicker-woven balconies soften the external palette, and complete the fairy-tale trio of materials - brick, wood and straw – that was influenced through consultation with pupils at the school. Internally, the CLT and brick structures are left exposed and joined by timber sets, shelving units, doors and stairs, to create a warm and tactile aesthetic suitable for a residence.
The ability of the materials and superstructure to serve a number of purposes eliminated the need for plasterboarded walls, suspended ceilings, cornices, skirtings and finishes. This simplified design reduced the embodied carbon of the building by 15 per cent, and minimised construction cost and time on site.
Leaving many of the loadbearing element exposed required the team to have a comprehensive understanding of the structural properties of the materials involved. Careful detailing allowed each of the materials to act and move in their own way, and together they form the seamless combination of structural form and architectural vision.
- Civic Trust Awards 2018winner, Mar 2018
- Offsite Awards 2018Best Use of Timber Technology, shortlisted, Feb 2018
- Building Awards 2017, Small Project of the Year, Shortlisted, Jul 2017
- Brick Awards 2017, Small Housing Development (up to 25 units), winner, Jul 2017
- Brick Awards 2017Innovative Use of Brick and Clay Products, commendation, Jul 2017
- Brick Awards 2017Craftsmanship, shortlisted, Jul 2017
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2017, shortlisted, Jul 2017
- Structural Timber Awards 2017, Private Housing Project of The Year, shortlisted, Jul 2017
- RIBA National Awards 2017, winner, Jun 2017
- NLA Awards 2017, commendation, Jun 2017
- RIBA London Awards 2017, winner, May 2017
- Hackney Design Awards 2016, winner, Nov 2016