- Architect: Sjölander da Cuz
Squirrel Works is a mixed-use development in the heart of Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter.
The Grade II listed, three-storey, arts and crafts factory was designed in 1912 by Birmingham-based architect John G Dunn for SJ Levi and Company, who were well known manufacturers of silver and silver plate goods. The squirrel was the trademark of the manufacturers and was marked on the bottom of many of their goods.
Webb Yates Engineers worked with Sjölander da Cruz Architects to convert the listed building and rediscover and revitalise historic architectural features. It was converted into a townhouse, loft apartments and an office unit. The design re-established the glazed courtyard bringing daylight deep into the floor plan and reconstructed original circulation routes. The structural work focused on the roof structure, the creation of a new bridge and a new first floor level. The existing suspended ceiling was removed exposing the existing steel trusses, purlins and timber lining.
Overall, this exemplar conversion brings an old building back to its former glory, while offering a new life that acknowledges the demand for urban housing.