The Rye Apartments
Tags: housing, timber, new build, low carbon
Related projects: Barrett's Grove , The Hoover Building
- Client: Tikari Works
- Architect: Tikari Works
- Photography: Jack Hobhouse
- Completion: 2020
- Value: Confidential
- Size: 880 m²
- Expertise: Structures
The Rye Apartments, designed in collaboration with Tikari Works, is a collection of ten thoughtfully conceived homes set over two buildings situated opposite one of South London’s most beloved parks in the heart of Peckham.
The innovative scheme comprises a solid timber superstructure, formed primarily from CLT, and warm spruce cladding, with a façade of 10,000 handmade clay shingles to embed the buildings into their red brick Victorian context. A focus on sustainability and low impact construction informs the entire scheme and the two buildings are unified through their rooflines and material qualities. Ground floor level is constructed partially below ground with the reinforced concrete walls retaining a varying amount of soil across the site as well as providing protection against seasonal changes in the groundwater level. These walls form a reinforced concrete plinth at ground level which enhances the ‘sibling’ relationship between the buildings and emphasises the idea of a shared community of homes.
Above the concrete plinth all of the primary structure is formed by CLT construction, including some transfer structures to accommodate changes in floor plans, and stability is achieved by the diaphragm action of the CLT. Internally, the structural CLT is left exposed and joined by timber sets, shelving units, doors and stairs, to create a warm and tactile aesthetic suitable for a residence. This simplified design is used to create natural and welcoming spaces while optimising construction time and minimising carbon emissions.
Together with the architect we’ve created a community of beautiful and environmentally sustainable homes with an expressive craft-based approach.
- AJ Architecture Awards 2021Housing (up to £10 million), winner, 11 2021
- RIBA National Awards 2021winner, 8 2021
- Dezeen Awards 2021Housing project category, longlisted , 8 2021
- Structural Timber Awards 2020 Private Housing of the year, shortlisted, 12 2020
- RIBA Regional Award 2020 shortlisted, 12 2020
- Wood Awards 2020 Gold Award & Private Award, winner, 11 2020
- New London Architecture Awards 2020 Environmental Category, highly commended, 11 2020
- New London Architecture Awards 2020 Housing Category, shortlisted, 11 2020