Webb Yates Engineers provided Structural and Civil Engineering design for this new 535m2 studio building at University of the Arts Wimbledon campus. The brief was to provide an open flexible space to embrace the college’s studio/ workshop culture. Sustainability was also key to the project with the client vision that this should be an exemplar building for the University’s portfolio with the building achieving BREEAM Outstanding.
An exposed timber and concrete frame was developed in close collaboration with the architect and services engineer to produce an holistic building engineering solution which provided thermal mass to enable the building to be naturally ventilated while giving the building a unique aesthetic appearance. The prefabricated glulam beams were carefully detailed in conjunction with the specialist timber contractor in order to achieve the sleek visible connections.
The prefabricated timber frame minimised the overall weight of the building and allowed a shallow reinforced concrete raft to be used in lieu of a piled foundation solution while allowing simple site installation reducing time of site.
Webb Yates Engineers were also responsible for the SUDS design with surface water storage beneath permeable paving which reduces storm water runoff from the site.
- Structural Timber Awards 2017, Engineer of the Year, shortlisted, Jul 2017
- RIBA London Awards 2017, winner, May 2017
- Special Sustainability Award, RIBA London Awards 2017, winner, May 2017
- NLA Ashden Prize 2016, winner, Jul 2016
- BREEAM Awards 2016Education & Health, shortlisted, Mar 2016
- Structural Timber Awards 2015, Best Education Project & Engineer of the Year, shortlisted, Jul 2015
- Green Apple Awards, winner, Nov 2014